Implied volatility data

I am looking for data in implied and realised volatility, on a stock and ETF level. Does anyone know an affordable API for this, as I am looking to integrate it into a Google Sheet?

2 Likes

That is a bit of a trickier data point to get for free as an API endpoint. If there is an affordable way I’d love to know! Most of my knowledge is corporate data which generally isn’t priced for end customers.

My suggestion would be to calculate the vol yourself.

For a decent API vendor that can give you data for free check out these guys.

You can get the close price for whatever period you want to annualise, then run =STDEV() against the percentage chance for each data point, and then multiple it by the square root of whatever the data set is based on to get a year.

e.g. Get the last 21 close prices, figure out the daily percentage change.

(today's price - yesterday's price) / yesterday's price * 100

Then multiply the daily standard deviation by the square root of 252. The assumption is 21 trading days a month~ and 252 trading days a year.

If there is an affordable API I’d love to know about it too! Otherwise sticking with the easier to get hold off pricing data might be a good stop-gap (depends how much data you can crunch.)

Thanks for that, I actually found a good free source that has all that I need, but they don’t have an API but I can just screenscrape it through IMPORTHTML(). Not ideal, but it’ll work. As it’s for non-commercial purposes and they provide it for free, quite sure screenscraping should be alright.

2 Likes